Editors note: What a Snack is a column originally started by former Editor-in-Chief Tobias Coughlin-Bogue. We are reviving the column and making it a monthly affair. The column is dedicated to stoner food, defined by Coughlin-Bogue as ‘opulent.’ Tater tots smothered in gravy and cheese curds fit that definition nicely.
Poutine may have a reputation as bar food, but the Venn diagram of stoner munchies and drunk munchies might as well be a circle. Though stoners are more willing and able to eat vegetables.
Poutine is a Canadian delicacy meant to be enjoyed wearing double denim and washed down with a Molson Canadian. It allegedly originated in Quebec, and popular lore attributes the name to a chef calling the dish a mess in French, but mess in French is not poutine, and Google Translate doesn’t have a Québécoi translate option, so I don’t know.
Using tater tots instead of fries makes the dish easier to prepare, and slightly harder to eat. But what stoner doesn’t love tater tots? Hence the name, stoner poutine.
This recipe is easy. The only thing you have to make from scratch is the gravy. It’s the perfect dish for guests, as long as they’re not on pretty much any kind of diet.
Frozen tater tots
Package of cheese curds
One cup beef broth
One cup chicken broth
¼ cup flour
2 tablespoons of butter
1 yellow onion diced
Whole milk or half-and-half to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Basil or other herbs for garnish
- Put tater tots in the oven according to package directions.
- Sautee onion in butter.
- Add both broths to the onion mixture and heat until boiling, then reduce to heat.
- Slowly add flour to the gravy until it thickens, then add the milk or cream until you reach your desired consistency. Put a lid on the mixture and keep on low heat, or off.
- Once the tater tots are done cooking, put the cheese curds on the tater tots, and put them back in the oven on low until the curds are warm, but not quite melted.
- Move the tater tots and cheese curds to a serving dish, and pour the gravy all over those babies.
- Get super high.
- Eat and enjoy it. Use a fork, that shit is messy as hell.